Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

Tennessee Blogs

Frequently Used Tools:




October 14, 2008

Firenze, Florencia, Florence...Vale



Whichever you would like to call it, I went to Florence, Italy this past weekend! The city is beautiful, charming, and has all the characteristics that you would think of when talking about Italy. My weekend was filled with pasta, pizza, and of course gelato. I visited the Academia, the Uffizi, the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio, and other spectacular touristic spots. Although each place was magnificent, my favorite was the David, by Michaelangelo. It was by far the most extravagant piece of art I've ever seen. I didn't even try to take a picture of it because photos wouldn't give justice to this masterpiece. I know corny, right? I never thought I would be the one to really appreciate art, but as I stood before this grand statue, I think for a moment I stopped breathing. The detail in David's eyes, fingers, the rocks in his right arm, etc....it gives me chills to think how old this marble is.

The lines of course were long for the Uffizi and Academia, but well worth the hour and a half plus the 10 euro. ( You can get tickets in advance offline but it's not worth the 18 euro you'll have to pay plus the 10 euro, oh and you don't get student discounts, so don't buy the ISIC card that the study abroad office makes you pay $22 for) Italy was definitely a romantic city, and I'm so glad I got the opporutnity to go...but I'm so happy to be back in BCN and am so thankful that this is the city I chose to live in for 4 months. There's just something about Spanish culture that I've fallen in love with. It could be that I wake up, go to class, have lunch, do siesta, go back to class, have coffee, have dinner, and then possibly go out/hang out with friends until the wee hours of the morning, and start my day again.
One of the senoras here said that she doesn't understand the American saying 'the early bird gets the worm.' She understands the meaning, but not the reason behind it. I found that Spainards take life as it goes, not filling it with always 'on the go' mentality, and filling their schedules to the nit and gritty minute with their 'to-do list.' Even when I first got to Spain, I was already inquiring about volunteering, yoga classes, churches around me, planning trips....It's so funny how in 4 weeks, I've learned to just...relax. Tranquilo, tranquilo...So whoever reads this, do me a favor will you? Take time out of your day and take a nap, people watch, smile while you're running because you're SO happy that you get to run the path that you chose today...enjoy your life because it's taken me awhile to learn to enjoy mine.

• • •

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home